Friday, June 16, 2017

Fun Friday with Emily!!!

Hello and welcome back to another Fun Friday here at Sami Stamps!

I'm here to share a bright, fun watercolored card.
Watercolor can be quite intimidated for some if you don't have much experience with it.  I know I struggle with it...a lot.  But it doesn't have to be so scary.  The beauty of watercolor is its freedom.  There doesn't have to be an exactly correct way to use it.  Don't be afraid to experiment, use different materials and styles and find something that really fits who you are.

One of my favorite ways to use watercolor is for a very loose splashy background.  So that is where I started for today's card.
I stamped the background with a fun swirl design and then clear embossed it so that my watercolors would fill in those gaps and make the pattern pop.

Then I just dropped my color onto the paper.  I used a couple of blues and greens which are perfect to pair together since they don't create mud when they mix.  While that dried, I splattered little bits of water and shimmer over it to create different patterns and texture.

After setting that aside, I started to work on my Ladybug Waterlily image.  I really wanted this to be a white waterlily, but white is never just white.  So I chose a grey color that was slightly blue and a little green and added it to just the shadow parts of my image, making sure to blend it out to white towards the tips of the petals.

Waterlilies usually have yellow centers, but since there wasn't really any center to this image, I decided to add the suggestion of yellow in the center by adding just a touch of it to the inside edges of a few petals, again softening it out to white.

Once my background was dry, I took an iron to it to remove all the clear embossing powder.  I wanted to keep the swirl design but didn't want the shine of the powder so taking a hot iron to it (using a piece of printer paper on top to catch all the embossing powder) will remove whats there and leave a nice mat surface behind.

I trimmed out my waterlily, cut out a sentiment banner and mounted it all onto my card base.

The finishing touch was few clear droplets to go along with the water theme of the card.

Be sure to stop by and join in our challenge.  This month we want to see you use something glossy or shiny!

Thanks so much for visiting! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment